The beautification committee has decided to scale back planting in the Andaman Strip over the colder months of July/August 2011.
At present there is $1,500 of the $4,500 left in the Land Care Grant money still to be spent to complete Stage 3. The majority will be used to buy more plants for the southern end with some infill planting in the middle section and the Mt Ommaney Shopping Centre end. With little natural precipitation occurring and the prediction of no immediate relief, watering will be ongoing to maintain a good strike rate for the new plants.To give all plants a drink, it takes approximately 3000 litres of water each time.JRA are fortunate that we have a ready source of Mt Ommaney Creek run off water which ponds down at the Galleon Street end of the strip to pump from. 3 x 1000 litre tanks spread along the Strip store water for intermediate watering.
To date approximately 450 trees, bushes and ground cover plants over 20 species have been placed since JRA received the Grant allocation - with another 50 maturing in pots awaiting planting.Some of these will be planted before the next major planting day planned for the weekend of 26/27th August, 2011.
All of the plants have survived well and the boys are expecting a spurt in growth and some initial flowering in the coming spring/summer months.Other than the first planting working B in April, subsequent planting days have been poorly attended by residents of Jamboree Heights and hopefully this will reverse when planting recommences.
TASKS FOR NEXT PLANTING B
- Assist with the installation of another 200+ plants.
- Move many cubic metres of tree chippings from road edge.
- Tying plants to tree stakes.
- Assist with preparation of BBQ on Saturday.
HOW CAN YOU ASSIST ORGANIZERS BEFORE HAND?
- Notify web administrator re your availability to attend a working B on either day or assist with BBQ preparation and delivery on the Saturday – at noon in the Strip near Arosa Street.
- Donation of plants you would like to see in the strip – subject to suitability.
FUTURE BEAUTIFICATION PROJECTS IN PLANNING BY JRA EXECUTIVE FOR JAMBOREE HEIGHTS.
- Final stage of Andaman Strip includes, official naming of the Strip, more infill planting in middle and northern sections, rock lining of drain, installation of solar lighting, possible mural paintings.
- Approach Bush Care Group to include creek/drain site behind Patrol Street.
- Approach Telstra re garden on Sirocco Street corner of their grounds.
- Nomination of Jamboree Heights in Keep Australia Beautiful Queensland’s Spotless Suburb Competition.
- Continue lobby for play/activity equipment in Jamboree and Beanland Parks.